If an adult is incapacitated, he or she may require a guardian or conservator. A guardian looks after a person’s welfare, property, and living conditions. A conservator is appointed to protect, preserve, and manage the estate of an incapacitated adult. In some cases, the Office of Aging and Disability Services (OADS) may serve as the public guardian or conservator for a mentally- incapacitated adult. Call 1-800-624-8408.

If your personal attorney cannot help you with the procedures, an Elder or Estate Attorney probably can help. Ask someone you trust for a referral. Elder and Estate Attorneys in the community are listed under Legal Services.